View Single Post
Old January 21 2013, 05:06 AM   #33
YARN
Fleet Captain

Re: Crew age and nu-Trek

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
No one "chickened out" on anything. They did it the way they thought would make the most entertaining movie,
Just about every major motion picture is a compromise. Compromising involves yielding certain goals, sometimes out of narrative necessity, sometimes due to external pressure (e.g., studio heads demand certain scenes be inserted or removed, audience pressure, limited shooting schedule, running out of money). Sometimes internal pressures compete with internal pressures (the beauty of a depiction vs. the needs of pacing). Sometimes external pressures compete with external pressures (the cost of a shot vs. the amount of budget available). Sometimes internal goals conflict with external realities.

It is very clear that the new team wanted to start fresh. They wanted to cut away a lot of narrative baggage.

It is also clear that they felt the need to appease the faithful, by coming up with a conceit whereby the new universe would somehow be connected with the old and where the fans could be comfortable in the knowledge that the TNG history had not been overwritten.

The compromise was the Spock time travel and branching universe. To the extent that the internal goal (start fresh) compromised to external pressure (respect the old!), the creators chickened out on their immediate goal of rebooting. The Muppet Babies Academy Kids was one impact of the narrative choice made to strike this compromise.

Their goal was not to make the most entertaining movie for them, but to create the film that would generate the most money. If I went to a studio head and told him he could invest in the most entertaining film ever made or the most profitable film ever made, ten times out of ten, he would invest in the latter. Entertainment is a mere instrumentality. There is international political pressure (such as when China tells Hollywood when to change the villain), sometimes political correctness kicks in. Sometimes the demands of actors create limitations. Yielding to these pressures does not necessarily make the most entertaining film (i.e., if such things were pushed back against, the audience would have X more utiles of entertainment from the film), but filmmakers are worried about cost and expediency, so entertainment is just one factor.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
and moviegoers rewarded them by making the movie a tremendous success. That trumps trekkie complaints.
This is one of those dippy sentiments that one runs into a lot on the internet.

"It made money, so you don't get to say anything bad about it!"

"The masses feel differently, so your opinion matters not!"

It's so bad that one scarcely knows how to respond to it.
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote