View Single Post
Old January 21 2013, 01:06 AM   #1606
Fleet Admiral
Re: Does It Get Better???

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post

Muse: The power of a story! Wonderful departure from the usual sci fi plot. Everything about this episode was well done, from the guest stars, to the sets, and to the great message. This episode got to the heart of what Star Trek is all about.
I loved all the inside jokes in it about gimmicks to script writing.
I love most of B'Elanna's stories and I think this one is great!

Still digesting this one...Kes was never one of my favorite characters, but her return for one episode was welcome. Still, it could have been done better. The story was confusing and a bit unrealistic. How did Kes find and catch up to Voyager? And when she came back the second time how is it that she completely forgot the events of her traveling into the past? Her memory can't be that bad, seeing how she remembered where to find Voyager, and she obviously remembered a lot about the warp core and how it functioned. The resolution was silly and unsatisfying. Nevertheless, there's a lot of excitement, and I enjoyed seeing the flashbacks to season one.
I think the time travel element detracts from the real focus of the story. From what I took away from it was, Kes is interring the end of her life and is suffering from Ocampan Alzheimer's which would explain her bad memory. She doesn't remember much of her life on Voyager or why she left. She's realizes leaving Ocampa was a mistake and wants to go back home to live her life and die were she felt the most comfortable.
I actually like it because it's one of the few stories we see on sci-fi or TV that shows getting old isn't as "golden" as were led to believe. Grey hair, wrinkled skin, achy joints & loss of memory, getting old sucks.
However instead of the time travel aspect of it, I wish they had gone into more about what happens when someone with great mental powers like Kes develops a form of dementia. What types of things would her powers do if she isn't aware of it?
A Tiger doesn't loose sleep over the opinion of sheep.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote