View Single Post
Old January 20 2013, 08:11 PM   #94
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: My "Just Saw Insurrection For the First Time" Review.

BillJ wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post

The only thing the movie alludes to is that the relocation was being reviewed not halted.

If six hundred people are sitting on a cure for cancer, I'd move them in a heartbeat.
I find sanctimoniously pointing fingers at Phlox and then turning around and condoning kidnapping to be extremely hypocritical, if not a bit disingenuous.
Its entirely consistent though. I believe in intervention in both cases. One, that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Two, that the physical evidence that the Valakians need to die for the Menk to evolve simply doesn't exist in the episode itself.

I believe in actually examining the facts of each case and not clouding my reasoning with religious dogma. YMMV.
I was going to respond, considering my views are the same as BillJ's on both questions, but then this post put it well, so why bother?

At any rate, it just seems pretty arbitrary to compare those two scenarios since they're nothing alike. One is a "property rights of a few vs. the well-being of many" scenario and the other is a "mad doctor uses pseudoscience to justify letting millions die" scenario.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote