1. Reservoir Dogs (1992) - A
2. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011) - D
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) - C+
4. Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - A
5. The Amazing Spiderman (2012) - B
6. Life of Pi (2012) - A
What an absolutely beautiful film, one of the more original pieces of film making I have seen in a long long time (probably since Inception). While the movie started out slow, once we got to the shipwreak it just moved and never let up and it was a wondourous experience. While other films have great visual effects, what they lack (Such as movies like Beasts of a Southern Wild or Avatar) is good storytelling. Life of Pi includes that great storytelling and it was brilliant. I hope Ang Lee wins best director because that was best director material. Also loved what they did with Richard Parker, who I thought was the star of the movie. There were two scenes that make me kind of want to see this movie actually in 3D
1) The scene where Pi and Richard Parker are surrounded by jumping fish and the picture actually goes from the whole screen to widescreen and the fish feel like they are jumping out of the screen. It was almost like Ang Lee made 3D possible for 2D viewing
2) The scene with Richard Parker jumping almost out of the screen scared the crap out of me but I think would even be more creepy in 3D.
What an achievement and great movie.
Theater: 2 (+1)