Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 20 2013, 06:37 AM   #144
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7
Re: Going Veggie

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Is a slow cooker the same thing as a crock pot?

When I was a kid there was a year when our stove broke and my mom couldn't afford to fix it, so every hot meal we had was in from a crock pot!

I make a bitchin' vegetarian chili, if you want the recipe for that, J. It's easy to make, easy to modify, cost-effective, super nutritious, extra-diabetes friendly, and delicious!
"Crock-Pot" is a brand made by Rival. When other manufacturers started making them, the term "slow-cooker" came into use. It is a generic term for the same thing.
Emher wrote: View Post
That sounds delicious! Though I might see if I (and this gonna sound like sacrilege) will remove the beans. Or at least not do as much of them. I know, I know, no chili without beans, but I'm not a huge fan. Luckily bro is so he might eat mine.
On the contrary, m'dear, there are those who would say that anything that has beans is not chili! So you prefer an all veggie chili-esque stew? So what, make what you like! Another healthful, but non-vegetarian creative spin would be to use ground turkey breast or chicken breast and make a bean-free chili
I agree, there are as many versions of "chili" as there are cooks.

I make a simple chili in the slow-cooker/Crock-Pot, with ground turkey:

1 can Light Red Kidney Beans
1 can Dark Red Kidney Beans
1 can Black Beans
1 pound Ground Turkey
1 can Diced Tomatoes
Diced Fresh or Dehydrated Onions
Crushed Basil
Cholula Hot Sauce (or other hot sauce/chili powder) to taste

Brown ground turkey in pan. Add to slow-cooker.
Add canned items to slow-cooker. Stir.
Cover with lid. Simmer all day while at work, etc.
Enjoy a simple chili for dinner!

[p.s.- for a thicker chili, I have been known to add a small can of tomato paste]
Apologies to the purists, but being a caregiver and disabled myself, I often use canned food. You have permission to substitute and suggest healthier alternatives.

For my current batch, I had leftover broccoli stems and celery hearts from a veggie tray I made for friends. I diced them finely and put them all in the chili. Mom and I LOVED it!
Oh, man, Sector7, please don't take any offense or insult at this, because I don't mean it that way at all, but I personally find your attitude towards carb counting hilarious! It's just that I am a type 1 diabetic; I've been carb counting since I was 12, using carb counts to calculate boluses. The thought of carb counting as fun rather than "IF YOU DON'T DO THIS CORRECTLY, YOU WILL DIE IN YOUR SLEEP!" is so mind-bogglingly foreign to me that it made me laugh! It's awesome that you like it though, and that it's working so well for you. Very cool!
I am very insulted and mortally wounded............ NOT!
Like I said, tsq, I have always loved reading labels. I just never really knew how to apply what I read to a healthy diet. Carb Counting just... clicked.
Gary7 wrote: View Post
Hey, I have a bean question. When you buy dried beans and lentils, it seems like they need to soak for a long time before they're usable. Like 4-6 hours minimum. Is there any maximum? Can I keep a bunch of beans sealed up with water in a jar in my refrigerator, ready to be used at a moment's notice? Or would they deteriorate into a soggy mess before too long?
I read several posts from you, Gary7 and others about beans. Thought I'd add something I learned. Not knowing how to cook them & Mom being hungry for beans, I did not rinse the beans... just put the dried beans in the crock pot with lightly salted water with black pepper and simmered all day, stirring occasionally. They turned out great... even I liked them and I'm not a fan of just a plain old pot of beans.

This has become my favorite thread on TrekBBS, right behind The Caregivers' Thread!