View Single Post
Old January 20 2013, 04:15 AM   #175
Christopher
Writer

Re: TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
So becuase he made a choice the crew didn't like it was okay to kill him to make them happy?
Where in the world are you getting "okay" from? Did you not notice the multiple times I have explicitly stated that there was no good or right choice here, that the whole thing that makes the episode so wrenching is that the decision is tragic and agonizing no matter which way it goes? This was a brilliant, inspired piece of television writing, one of the finest episodes of the entire Star Trek franchise because of the ingenious way it created a truly agonizing, insoluble moral dilemma of a sort that could only arise in science fiction. The intractability of the dilemma and the complex moral questions it raises are what make it so compelling to think about. So no, I'm not saying "it was okay." I'm not going to do this fascinatingly complex episode the disservice of oversimplifying it.

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
The difference with "The Enemy Within" is that the divided Kirks were dying, just as the alien dog did. They needed to be reintegrated in order to survive at all. So there wasn't any choice there.
Oh, my apologies, I don't remember that detail. I had thought the dog had died solely from the shock of reintegration.
I went back and checked, and I was half right:

KIRK: He's not dying?
MCCOY: Yes, he is.
OTHER KIRK: Help me.
KIRK: How can he die? Can I survive without him?
MCCOY: I don't know, Jim.

SPOCK: No autopsy is necessary to know that the animal was terrified, confused. It was split into two halves and suddenly thrust back together again. Thus shock induced by blind terror.
KIRK: Yes, yes, that sounds likely.
SPOCK: It couldn't understand. You can. You have your intelligence controlling your fear.
So I was wrong about the dog analogy, but right that at least one of the Kirks was dying.

But as I said, the issue with Tuvix is that he acted selfishly. He placed his own survival above that of others, and even took aggressive action to try to preserve his life.
Others who were already "dead". To paraphrase Picard, "they were already dead... what more could have happened to them?" We'll probably have to agree to disagree about Tuvix.
Let me make this very clear: I am not talking about my own opinion on the matter. I am evaluating what I believe the crew of Voyager would think about the matter. It is possible to discuss other people's beliefs and motivations without holding those beliefs or motivations oneself. As a writer, I routinely evaluate the behavior and choices of a variety of characters, many of whose actions and beliefs I personally do not share. And that's what I'm doing here -- thinking about the motivations of the characters in the episode the same way I'd think about them if I were writing the story myself. I'm analyzing the characters' actions and choices, not judging or endorsing them.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote