View Single Post
Old January 20 2013, 02:47 AM   #171
Christopher
Writer

Re: TNG: The Body Electric by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Avro Arrow wrote: View Post
A more relevant example might be The Enemy Within. IIRC, Evil Kirkô also professed his desire to live before being reintegrated. Was it right for Good Kirk to force reintegration on him? I'm honestly not so sure that it was. Good Kirk wanted it, but Evil Kirk didn't; although they were originally the same person, by this point they were two individuals, much like the two Rikers in Second Chances.
The difference with "The Enemy Within" is that the divided Kirks were dying, just as the alien dog did. They needed to be reintegrated in order to survive at all. So there wasn't any choice there.

But as I said, the issue with Tuvix is that he acted selfishly. He placed his own survival above that of others, and even took aggressive action to try to preserve his life. Now, from his perspective, that was understandable, but what about the rest of the crew's perspective? Would they have been able or willing to trust him with their lives after he did something like that? I still feel that Janeway made the choice she did because she was thinking of how the rest of the crew would react. After what Tuvix did, they wouldn't have accepted him anymore, and that would've damaged crew cohesion and possibly had dangerous consequences in crisis situations. But the rest of the crew would still trust and accept the restored Tuvok and Neelix. So by the ruthless logic of command, restoring them was the decision that would have the better long-term outcome. I don't claim it was the moral choice to make, but I can understand why the ship's commanding officer would have made that choice.