Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 20 2013, 12:29 AM   #126
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Emher wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^ With chili you live and learn! Each time you make it you'll be able to hone it more to your personal tastes. And I DO like it spicy!
I did rather like it, even the beans worked well, but not as spicy for me next time. Bro liked it, even though he too agreed that it was a bit spicy.

Also, I think your native american blood helps you with the spicyness
I think it's more likely the cajun on my dad's side. When you grow up eating jambalaya that can clear your sinuses -- on the days dad cooked we kept a tissue box on the table! -- and snacking on sliced jalapenos during movies (seriously, sliced jalapenos was my favorite movie/TV snack), you end up with a high tolerance for spicy.

lurok wrote: View Post
I see it passed the spoon test Looks yummy.

Where do veggies here stand on organic vs non-org issue? Rip-off or genuine health/taste difference?
There's no good evidence that organic foods are any healthier or nutritious, and I've only ever noticed a flavor difference when buying direct from the farmers' market, but I highly doubt that has anything to do with whether or not the food is organic, rather that it's just fresh. I also think that the label "organic" is pretty arbitrary, as it encompasses a wide variety of practices that are really unrelated, some of which I agree with, and some of which don't matter. Ultimately, as it is now it's just a clever marketing term, and I'm certainly not going to pay twice as much for organic. Also, as someone who appreciates science and what it has taught us about the world, the term "organic" annoys me by its misuse alone.

Lastly, I saw this on buzzfeed today and thought it was relevant to this thread:

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote