View Single Post
Old January 19 2013, 01:48 AM   #64
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: Worst lines of dialogue in the entire series?

Doomsday wrote: View Post
The one I hate the most is from "The Cage", when Pike, exasperated over his flustering yeoman, says "I can't get used to having a woman on the bridge..." then looks over at Number One, "You're different of course, Number One."

I understand the historical and cultural context, and GR might have even thought he was being progressive about pointing out the woman on the bridge...but in the 23rd century, that would be something new and remarkable? That just seems anachronistic even for 1964. And condescending. And it's not as though she was being incompetent, she was just...nervous, like any young officer on the bridge of a starship might be when it was clearly her first assignment. I don't know, it just always bugged me.
Given when the show was written, it would sound like Picard complaining about kids on the bridge. The audience wouldn't have been overly surprised by the line. It is an idiotic comment since he has a woman on the bridge right in front of him. The apology to Number One just makes it sound patronizing and condescending. Perhaps, Pike was meant to be seen as an ass in regards to women, rather than a a reflection of women in Star Fleet as can be so obviously seen in the presence of Number One?
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote