View Single Post
Old January 19 2013, 01:12 AM   #43
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: internet campaign to restore star trek final frontier starts

trevanian wrote: View Post
They actually have fun with this, Kirk's "Oh please" could be any veteran audience member.
I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

They couldn't get Sean Connery, Max Von Sydow or Klaus Maria Brandauer.
I know who the actors were that they wanted...that wasn't my point. My point was that they probably could have gotten a better, more well-known actor to play a part as "important" as Spock's half-brother.

Nearing 60 might be painful but i don't know that it is old, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about here.
It wasn't the actors' literal ages that made them seem so old...it was the way they acted out the scene. I had no idea how old they were until you posted that.

It's fairly easy to infer (w/o much rationalization either) that Nimbus was set up to fail, just from Warner's dialog. Shatner's delivery of the words "planet of galactic ... " also has the tone of "oh THAT place" which reconfirms this for audience.
So if this planet was simply a big joke, then why risk one of Starfleet's best captains and crew to save the ambassadors?

TNG at height of its popularity? It wasn't even WRITTEN yet when TVH came out...
I could be misremembering the exact dates here...now that you mention it, I believe TNG was at the height of it's popularity during STVI, not V. My bad.

(and if TVH is your idea of going out on a high note, I gotta think you're high. It was a fine 'one viewing' pic that did a neat top itself/top itself again ending, but I'd hate the idea of remembering TOS films as ending in that appalling white N chrome mess -- sorry I mean redress -- of a bridge set, which looks like the template for The Abrams Thing's bridge AKA the cosmetic aisle in your friendly neighborhood Target store.
Your are of course entitled to your own opinion, but you're confusing the literal ending of the movie (and I'm not sure why you're making such a deal out of a set that was seen for about five seconds) with the entire movie itself, which was the basis for my statement that TVH was a good finale for the TOS crew.