Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 18 2013, 09:55 PM   #106
JRS
Fleet Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JRS
Re: Going Veggie

I am not a vegetarian myself but this sweet and sour peppers recipe is quite good(the original has it served with pork chops but I leave it up to you to invent a veggie replacement for those):

For the sweet and sour peppers:
*Olive oil, for frying
*1 red onion, peeled and sliced
*2 red peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
*Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
*1 tbsp caster sugar
*3 tbsp red wine vinegar
*1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
*Small bunch of basil, leaves shredded

1. First prepare the peppers. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan, then add the onion and peppers. Season with salt and pepper, add the sugar and sauté over a high heat for 4-5 minutes until soft and coloured. (Make sure you can hear the vegetables hissing in the pan. If not, the pan isn’t hot enough and you’re in danger of boiling the vegetables instead of frying them.)

2. Add the vinegar and let it bubble for a minute or two until it has reduced and the peppers are soft. Turn down the heat, add the tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Stir in the shredded basil and continue to cook for 30 seconds, then turn off the heat. Decant into a bowl and set aside to infuse.

Source: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...-gordon-ramsay
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote