View Single Post
Old January 18 2013, 10:21 AM   #17
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Travelling Community

teacake wrote: View Post
It gets discussed in Elogium.

CHAKOTAY: If it does take seventy five years, we're going to need a replacement crew in about half that time.
JANEWAY: Who'd have thought we'd be considering a generational ship when we were ordered on a three week mission.
CHAKOTAY: I know, but it's a problem we have to face now.
JANEWAY: What would that mean for the children? What kind of life would we be giving them aboard a starship, travelling through a potentially hostile part of space? And are we equipped to provide for their needs? Child care, educational facilities. We'd be building an entire community on board this ship. That's a massive commitment.
CHAKOTAY: Are you prepared to tell them they can't have children?
JANEWAY: I can't do that. And I've made it clear to Kes that it's her choice whether to have a child or not, but. There aren't any easy answers here. For any of us.

I think though that they've seen enough magic fixes, wormholes, the other Caretaker that they are still hoping for some kind of breakthrough. Once they established some communication with the Alpha quadrant that would have kept that hope alive as well. When did the E2 crew in ENT decide they needed to be a generational ship? Not in the first few years I'm sure.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Just because they had seen some magic fixes as you put it doesn't mean that they'll continue to find them.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote