Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 18 2013, 06:22 AM   #88
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
The same can not be said of a vegetarian diet.
Yes it can. A well balanced vegetarian diet doesn't take anymore planning than a well balanced omnivorous diet. There are plenty of negatives to eating meat which you conveniently seem to ignore. And what do you think does more harm in the long run, too much cholesterol or not enough zinc?

But in case you were wondering, I can say with 100% certainty that my diet is healthier than yours. And how much time do I spend a day meticulously charting out what I'm going to eat? Well... I don't.

It is important for vegetarians to pay attention to these five categories in particular.
Vitamins that may be lacking in a vegetarian diet include:
Four of those listed are accounted for by the multivitamin I take everyday. And before you sneer, let me add that I was taking a multivitamin long before I stopped eating meat. Everyone should take one. If you don't. Start.

As far as the protein, well I already addressed that.

Iron. Studies show that in Western countries, vegetarians tend to get the same amount of iron as meat eaters.
Which, incidentally, is more than most people actually need in a day.

But the iron in meat (especially red meat) is more readily absorbed than the kind found in plant foods, known as non-heme iron. The absorption of non-heme iron is enhanced by vitamin C and other acids found in fruits and vegetables, but it may be inhibited by the phytic acid in whole grains, beans, lentils, seeds, and nuts.
May be, but sort of kind of isn't. Why? Because you have to eat A LOT of grains, lentils, and nuts to absorb enough phytic acid to really make an impact. Also, leafy greens also provide way more iron than a piece of steak. They also are a great source of Vitamin C.

That said, J. started this thread as a positive thing. Please take your negativity someplace else.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote