CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Nonsense.
+1

Being vegan is harder to do
Not really.

I can only assume by "weaker" and "sick" he's talking about the protein misnomer.

As it is, the daily protein requirement is probably biggest falsehood in Western nutrition. Protein isn't nearly as important as some like to suggest it is. A little common sense and any culinary anthropologist can prove this. If not, there are more than enough studies out there that do.

But the fact of the matter is, for the vast majority of human history, meat has only been a very small part of our diet.

And now, most westerns (especially Americans) consume way more protein a day than they actually need. The average human male gets all the protein he needs in about a half a piece of chicken breast. Everything else he eats that day is excess.

It's been known for awhile that too much protein is just as bad for you than not enough, because your body doesn't know what to do with it all. But recent studies have suggested it might actually be worse.

Another thing people don't realize is that everything provides protein. In fact, pound for pound, green vegetables like spinach (Think Popeye.) provide more protein than red meat. Of course, a flank steak's weight in uncooked spinach (or broccoli, kale, etc.) is a helluva lot of spinach. But like I said, you really don't need that much.

Some like to try to play the incomplete protein argument, which at the very basic level is true. However, all it really means is that plant-based proteins don't provide all the amino acids of animal proteins. However, you can find all the amino acids in plants (How would the animals get them otherwise?), and the necessary ratio is so small that one would have to consciously go out of his way over a significant amount of time to actually be deficient in one or two.

In reality though, if I have a small bowl of grape nuts with almond milk and a berry along with a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter for breakfast, I've met half of my daily need for protein. If I have one of teacake's bean tacos and a green smoothie for lunch, I'm done and don't even have to worry about dinner.

The ultimate thing about meat though is, everything it can do, beans can do better. More importantly, they do so without the cholesterol and saturated fats--and especially the synthetic toxins and steroids that are found in most prepackaged meats these days. Beans truly are a "magical fruit."

As for the "time consuming" part that's just bogus. Now, if he's talking about preparing a nice veggie dinner instead of running up to McDonald's for a shit-burger, he might have a point. Otherwise, it doesn't take any longer to prepare a vegetarian meal than one with meat. Does it take longer for tsq to make her chili than it would if she put meat in it? I don't think so. Heck, since you don't have to stand around with a meat thermometer, it's probably usually quicker.
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote