Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 17 2013, 10:46 PM   #60
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher
Re: Going Veggie

I'm sorta going veggie...well not quite, but I'm going for a easily made and healthy soup based diet due to health and finance reasons. Simply, I need to eat better and it won't hurt my wallet since I will be making a lot of my own food a lot more then I used to.

Last night I made a tomato soup that turned out delicious, plus I was so filling and I made so much that I had food for tonights dinner, and tomorrows lunch and dinner if I feel like it!

Also, no, I am not going to eat only soups but I'm gonna try and eat more soups for dinner to help my digestive system during the night. Not be so heavy on it.
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
It is a haphazard dish, and everything can be changed according to taste, I often use a combination of canned, fresh, and frozen beans and veggies, but it's up to the chef. Here is how I do it:

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.
That sounds delicious! Though I might see if I (and this gonna sound like sacrilege) will remove the beans. Or at least not do as much of them. I know, I know, no chili without beans, but I'm not a huge fan. Luckily bro is so he might eat mine.

Also:
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Oh HELLZ no. Your spoon should be able to stand on its own in a bowl of chili!
Hellz to the yes, chili should be thick!