Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 17 2013, 08:33 PM   #47
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Going Veggie

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has wished me well. I appreciate it!

teacake wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if you're eating seafood J.? This is what I'm eating right now, but you could easily substitute the prawns with tofu or another vegetable, zucchini would be good.

Brown rice, lightly steamed broccoli, prawns and red pepper. The prawns and red pepper are just swirled around a pan with a little oil and a glob of minced garlic to heat them so the peppers are crunchy. The stuff sprinkled on top is chillie shrimp and dried onion topping which I'm addicted to, nicely pungent and hot.

Other than the rice cooking time very quick and easy.

That looks delicious! I'll try that (sans seafood). Thanks, teacake.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
It is a haphazard dish, and everything can be changed according to taste, I often use a combination of canned, fresh, and frozen beans and veggies, but it's up to the chef. Here is how I do it:

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.
There are some ingredients here I've never put in my chili (though that was meat chili). I'll definitely have to try this recipe, tsq.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
That sounds delicious! I know what I'm going to make next. Right now, my crock pot has a whole chicken in it, with a bed of rice. Haven't tried it yet, but it smells great... (I know, I know, not appropriate to this thread.)
It's perfectly okay with me. Healthy eating is the goal here!

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You know what's really good in chili? V8. I hardly ever drink the stuff as I much prefer fresh juice, but it's excellent for cooking provided you cut way back on the salt.

Granted, chili is pretty much shunned around here as something "loudmouth Texans" eat. New Mexicans much prefer tortilla soup and/or green chile stew which is pretty much heaven in a bowl.
Yes, V8's a good seasoning. I used the low sodium variety, myself.

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
You know what's really good in chili? V8. I hardly ever drink the stuff as I much prefer fresh juice, but it's excellent for cooking provided you cut way back on the salt.
I feel like it would be too watery?
It comes out fairly thick, actually. I tried it once on my meat chili, and it was pretty zippy. It wasn't as thick as my own chili recipe, though. I make the kind of chili you can hold upside down and it won't leave the pot.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote