Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 17 2013, 04:38 PM   #37
thestrangledcorpse
Vice Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Is a slow cooker the same thing as a crock pot?

When I was a kid there was a year when our stove broke and my mom couldn't afford to fix it, so every hot meal we had was in from a crock pot!

I make a bitchin' vegetarian chili, if you want the recipe for that, J. It's easy to make, easy to modify, cost-effective, super nutritious, extra-diabetes friendly, and delicious!
Could I have that recipe? I'm curious how much it differs from my own vegetarian chili. (My girlfriend is vegetarian, so I do make veggie meals whenever I'm cooking for both of us.)

I love making things in my crock pot.
It is a haphazard dish, and everything can be changed according to taste, I often use a combination of canned, fresh, and frozen beans and veggies, but it's up to the chef. Here is how I do it:

-In a large pot, saute a white onion and 3 or 4 cloves of diced garlic in olive oil.
-Add a small can of sliced green chilis.
-Add a chopped chayote squash and chopped green beans, maybe green and red bell pepper (any fresh or frozen veggies, canned veggies later)
-Add freshly ground black peppercorns (it makes a difference!)
-When it's nice and browned and smelling yummy, pour in: 3-5 cans of beans (I usually do red beans, black beans, and sometimes chickpeas), 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can corn, 1 can tomato paste, any other canned veggies you want.
-Add a dash of salt (more if your canned beans are unsalted or if you used dry beans), a splash of vinegar, a spoonful of sugar.
-Season to taste with: chili powder, cumin, crushed red pepper, cayenne pepper
-If you really want to wow them, though less diabetic friendly, add 1 bottle of beer.

Cook as long as possible over low heat. The leftovers just get better and better as they sit in the fridge.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangledcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote