View Single Post
Old January 17 2013, 03:07 PM   #72
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: How many transporter rooms on TOS Enterprise?

Just a Bill wrote: View Post
"Not following you here: isn't every terminus a last stop for somebody?"
I was thinking along the line of a train line where the last stop also has the depot. Let's speculate that in one particular turbo shaft (let's say # 7 just to have some fun ) that runs vertically through the engineering hull you have standby turbo lift cabs on Decks 11 and 13. If necessary these will also and almost instantly service passengers that would like to embark on Decks 10, 12 and 14.

Apparently the problem would be, that a turbo lift arriving in this shaft from the top would push the standby turbo lifts out of the way. Either these would "duck and cover" by swinging into a reserve opening (bulb at corridor end?) or the arriving turbo lift would push these ahead of its path.

If the passenger of the arriving turbo lift were to travel to Deck 15, in this example, there would have to be a depot with space for at least two cabs.

Just a Bill wrote: View Post
"Pneumatics seems like a head-idea that falls apart when it hits the paper, but I'm happy to be corrected by a real engineer if I'm wrong."
I don't think it's a credible idea either. The "free-fall" in "Wolf in the Fold" may have simply been the 'possessed' ship computer accelerating the cab in the opposite direction. However, it looks like the ship's computer has control over the turbo lift cabs.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote