View Single Post
Old January 17 2013, 03:20 AM   #75
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: What unseen Star Trek event do you want to read about next?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lee Son of Pete wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I pitched that to Pocket, but got no interest. It wouldn't feature enough familiar characters or elements to be marketable.
Whilst I'm not overly bothered about that particular story, I hope they ease up on that at some point because I really think the novelverse continuity will only really mature as it moves away from the TV shows.
I don't know. Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that the average reader wants a STAR TREK novel to bear some resemblance to the movies and TV shows. Presumedly, that's why they picked up a STAR TREK novel in the first place, instead of an original sf novel.

I mean, suppose you picked up a Sherlock Holmes novel, expecting to find Holmes and Watson up to their old tricks on Baker Street, only to discover that it was about a pair of detectives named Bartleby and Malone, who were working out of a brothel in Berlin, that Holmes had retired, and that Watson was now working independently as an undercover operative in Argentina, alongside a reformed Sebastian Moran . . . .

Now, you might well find this very exciting and intriguing, or you might also react negatively. "Hey, I wanted to read a Sherlock Holmes story . . . who the heck is this Bartleby character?"
Um, isn't that kind of what Christopher is doing in the next Enterprise novel since the tittle ship has been decommissioned and the crew is not getting another Enterprise?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote