Thread: Going Veggie
View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: Going Veggie

Like J., I turned vegan a few years ago for various health reasons. I've never regretted my decision.

I admit it was a very difficult change. I too thought I liked meat way too much. Buffalo wings were my vice. I experience cravings for months, and really had to resist temptation. Then there was the period of detoxing that just made the whole experience worse.

However, a month or two passed, the cravings went away and I started feeling better than I ever had since high school. I had endless amounts of energy and the daily aches and pains a felt went away. I also lost about 40 pounds (and kept it off) without making any other changes to my lifestyle.

The hard part is finding stuff you like. It's easy to get into a rut of just eating the same things over and over again, and that's not very healthy either. One piece of advice I would give people who are thinking about it is find some recipes and try some things before you fully commit.

For example, I finally found a supplement to my buffalo fix. I take some of that Earth Balance spread and melt it in a small sauce pot. I add some garlic cloves, celery seed, finally chopped onion and cayenne pepper, some lime juice and let it simmer for awhile. Then I pour it into a zip bag with two whole portabellas and let them marinade over night.

I grill them up the next day and lay them on a toasted whole wheat kaiser bun with some tomato, red onion, romaine lettuce, and a spread I make by mashing up some avocados and mixing them with veganaise. It's delicious. I make it for myself every now and then and totally don't miss the buffalo wings.

Another word of warning is, like a traditional omnivorous diet, one still needs balance. Things like beans and other lentils, nuts, and whole grains are still important, as is a mix of fruits and vegetables. Fruit, for example, is very healthful on its own, but if you don't balance it out with other stuff, it will cause problems.

Also, it's important not to undertake something like this half-hearted. Removing meat (or animal products) can have an adverse effect on your body chemistry. The longer you go, the more true this is.

There are various anecdotes of people who went years without eating meat and then feasted during a holiday or whatever only to end up very sick--even in the hospital.

But as long as you do it right, it's a life style change I would recommend to anyone.

I would also suggest to those who might be thinking about it (or even those who aren't) to watch Forks Over Knives. It's available on Netfix, Amazon Instant, and iTunes. It provides a wealth of information.
CorporalClegg is online now   Reply With Quote