View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 10:20 PM   #45
throwback
Captain

Re: Visual continuity/Same future, different eyes

the details of a throwaway historical reference
I am watching "Encounter at Farpoint". Lieutenant Commander Data said that he graduated in '78 from Starfleet Academy. This is a throwaway historical reference. We know that Data had to graduate from the Academy. It's not important when.

The quote in "First Contact" is different. It extends past this one episode, and answers questions that had been raised in the past.

What event led to the creation of the Prime Directive?
When did Humans and Klingons first met?
What happen when they met?

These questions were answered broadly. A prequel show to TOS could have answered these questions with specifics. Instead, Enterprise was a reboot of Star Trek, and rewrote the history. As a fan, I would have liked to see what TNG presented as history on this matter, and not what Enterprise did.

I can't find the quote, but Dennis/My Name is Legion has said on this forum that he wrote that as a fun little tidbit, never expecting them to ever actually show us Klingon/Human first contact - and that he didn't mind at all that they did something different in "Broken Bow"

When the guy who wrote "First Contact" doesn't mind... should we?
I remember hearing the commentary for "Tora! Tora! Tora!". The director talked briefly about the reuse of footage from this movie for "Midway". He didn't like they had done that, but what could he do? It had been done. People who work in the industry recognize things do change, and they have little say when the change happens. From what I have heard and read, it is considered bad form to criticize people in that industry. So, for me, the above quote, is what I expected and I believe reflects more on his professionalism than his real feelings on the same subject.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote