View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 06:58 PM   #4
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Did Vulcan space have a name?

Sci wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Apparently some of the books call it the Confederacy of Vulcan if that's what you're getting at.
Yeah, ENT: Kobayashi Maru, The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing, and To Brave the Storm establish the Vulcan polity to be named the Confederacy of Vulcan.

There are references to Vulcan and Andorian borders in numerous ENT eps, especially "Cease Fire" and the Kir'Shara trilogy.

In a lot of ways, ENT's depiction of borders in space is reasonable. Realistically, any "borders" claimed in interstellar space would be incredibly permeable, and actual territorial control would be limited to those areas adjacent to star systems and to starbases.

The depiction of terriroties in Enterprise is a bit different than they way it appears in all subsequent series.

You would think that Earth would have fallen within a Vulcan sphere of influence but the Vulcans don't seem to do much in the way of protecting that sphere in the same way that the Federation will a century later. Indeed Enterprise seems to wander around freely in everyone's respective space without being challenged until their reach an important planet.

One of the things that I find interesting about the Vulcans is that they do not appear to have much of an "empire" in that you rarely heard about Vulcan controlled planets beyond Vulcan itself and their listening post/monastary. I suppose one might argue that the Vulcans were not an expansionist society like the Humans and Andorians. But that does not totally square with the depiction of them reiging in Earth's ambitions for nearly a centruy after first contact. It might have been interesting to have Enterprise encounter another world where the Vulcans held stewardship.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote