View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 06:35 PM   #93
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

Re: Is Star Trek Interracially revolutionary?

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Hyfen_Underskor wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Michael Dukakis was the Democratic nominee for President in 1988 over 20 years ago. Spiro Agnew was a heartbeat away from being the President 40 years ago. Mario Cumo and Rudy Giuliani have been touted as viable Presidential candidates for decades and Giuliani even ran.
There's never been a law against non Anglo-Saxons/Dutch running for president, but:

“This is an English and Dutch country! Everyone else is here on sufferance,” - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

None of those candidates, no matter how close, actually became president...

So we're left a little bit in the dark as to how much, if any of that, was at least partially due to non-Northern European ethnic phobia?
They ran and were viable candidates. Agnew was the Vice President. Dukakis was the nominee of the Democratic Party. One of two major parties in the USA.
Americans have had little quirks that cause us to judge by somethings irrelevant to being able to handle political offices like the president. Have Americans judged by appearance? Probably. I think Americans have always preferred a tall president. I think there's something about seeing pictures of our president with his head above the leaders of other countries.

As far as intra-white/European ethnicity, that first immigrants pride has existed (thinking Mayflower society, a club I have no chance of joining as far as I know), and I think history sort of reveals that people have been more apt to lean towards an ethnic Northern European.

The other non-northern European candidates you mentioned were obviously very qualified individuals, and came close to breaking past that probably all too real quirk. Like Obama did.

But I don't relate any of that to modern racism. These quirks have been tame compared to American racism (except of course when it involved ethnic concentration camps).
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote