View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 06:08 PM   #70
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Re: Anti-Spock racism/general disrespect for the XO

1001001 wrote: View Post

Or, we're evolving to a more tolerant, understanding, and compassionate culture, and racists, sexists, and homophobes are going the way of the dinosaur.

Kinda like...you know...Star Trek.
Tip-toeing about on eggshells, making sure you properly identify a person's race before you address them, is hardly more tolerant or more understanding. It's just more self-congratulatory and superficial.
A buddy of mine is sick of being called "African-American" -- he points out that he's never been to Africa and wants to be simply considered American. For that matter, he's mighty sick of people assuming he must hold certain views because of the color of his skin. That said, he and I joke a lot about racial topics. He calls me a cheap Jew; I call him a lazy schwartze. We're buddies, comfortable joking that way for the very reason that we don't believe these things for a second.

Soledad O'Brien keeps doing specials on what it means to be black in America. Fuck me, I didn't even know she was black. Nor do I care.

Obama got a Nobel prize for being elected while half-black. Is that the kind of world you applaud?

As for homophobic, I don't give a rat's ass where people stick their genitalia. Not my business. That doesn't make me homophobic. Just possessed of good taste.