View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 06:05 PM   #54
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: Movies Seen In 2013

8. American Splendor (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - An autobiographical movie about the life and career of Harvey Pekar, who wrote and published a comic book called American Splendor. Stars Paul Giamatti, Hope Davis and the real Harvey Pekar who narrated the movie and appeared in breaks from the movie's storyline to talk to the viewer. I didn't know who this guy was, but the movie was a good one and had me doing a bit of internet searching to find out more about the man and his comic. I give it 4 out of 5 stars for a good story about a down and out "everyman" just trying to get by from one day to the next and Giamatti's performance. He's what you'd expect and he's good.

9. Soul Surfer (✩✩✩) - DVD - Based on a true story, Bethany, a surfer girl loses her arm in a shark attack. Stars Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt, Carrie Underwood, Craig T. Nelson, Kevin Sorbo and AnnaSophia Robb as the Bethany. It's your basic story of perseverance, learning not to feel sorry for oneself and believeing that there's a bigger picture but I was more fascinated by the story of how the main character dealt with the trauma of losing a limb. Some of these issues were presented with a religious bent since the characters are Christian, but it was deliberately kept to a minimum. This is the second thing I've seen Robb in this week, the first being her new show The Carrie Diaries. She's on my radar now. Oh, and the fx they used to make her look like an amputee was pretty good. I kept my eye on that.

10. 30 Minutes or Less (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - Two idiots kidnap a pizza deliver guy, strap a bomb vest onto him and give him 9 hours to rob a bank or it goes off. Hilarity ensues. Stars Jesse Eisenberg and Danny McBride. I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't well received but I thought it was a cut above your average comedy. It had a lot of unexpected developments and non-stop action but it's real strength was in all the witty fast talk from the cast. There's a post-credits scene, so stay for that. And if you watch the movie on DVD, watch the deleted scenes. You'll find stuff that was cut from the ending.

Theatre: 2
DVD: 5
Blu-ray: 1
Live TV: 2
Recorded TV: 0
On Demand: 0
Internet Download: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote