View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 02:39 PM   #63
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Re: How many transporter rooms on TOS Enterprise?

Just a Bill wrote: View Post
"Anyway, maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see how avoiding cab depots saves any space, really. If you don't have "spurs" or garages or some other dedicated space that's not needed for actual cab routing, then the alternative would seem to be the idea that all shafts are double- or triple-wide to allow cabs to "pass" each other — and that seems massively more space-wasteful to me than a few depots sprinkled here and there."
Good point, I really appreciate your input (depots vs. extra turbo shafts).

Actually, in my first TOS Enterprise deck plan drafts I had individual turbo lift access points next to the main turbo shafts. So in most cases, there's a cab waiting and just makes a quick turn to move into the main turbo shaft.

It's only when another turbo lift cab arrives that the standby cab has to move out of the way.

If the passenger tells the computer where he wants to go, the computer will coordinate re-arranging the location of other turbo lift cabs. If he doesn't, the passenger will risk that it takes a little longer.

At least, this way there wouldn't be the need for extra depots and inevitable waiting times, IMHO.

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote