View Single Post
Old January 16 2013, 12:59 AM   #52
KimMH
Rear Admiral

Re: Things old ladies do...

macloudt wrote: View Post
*points to blog link in sig*

I'm from a long line of needlewomen on my mother's side of the family, though I stick mostly to knitting and crocheting, along with cross-stitch. I have a sewing machine, but I can only do basic stuff with it. As others have mentioned, making your own clothes is no longer as frugal, as good-quality materials and yarns are expensive, so I'm reluctant to buy material only to destroy it. Still, if I want to improve my sewing skills I must take the plunge.

I took up cooking in earnest once my children were old enough not to need constant supervision and I could withdraw to the kitchen. My mother was an excellent cook, but she wasn't always keen on cooking. A few years ago I started making my own bread, and I'm about to try making marmalade for the first time. One of my brothers is a professional chef, and I've learned from him over the years as well. I'm adventurous in the kitchen, which means there have been several times when I've spent hours on a dish only for us to end up eating peanut butter sandwiches because something went horribly, horribly wrong.

My daughter's been knitting a garter stitch scarf for the past five years (!), but neither of my sons are interested in learning any needlework skills. Still, I'm going to make sure that every one of my kids can cook a meal, darn a sock and sew on a button before they leave home. I'll happily knit afghans and socks for them for as long as I can, but they can do their own basic sewing repairs, thankyouverymuch.
macloudt wrote: View Post
Perhaps a love of sci-fi is linked with an active imagination and/or broad-mindedness, which, in turn, is linked to creativity.
How do I love thee? Above are only two reasons!

I knit andsew, crochet not so much, but I'm hopeless in the kitchen. Always a new frontier( after guitar and karate lessons)!