View Single Post
Old January 15 2013, 08:19 PM   #27
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: What unseen Star Trek event do you want to read about next?

Lee Son of Pete wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
I pitched that to Pocket, but got no interest. It wouldn't feature enough familiar characters or elements to be marketable.
Whilst I'm not overly bothered about that particular story, I hope they ease up on that at some point because I really think the novelverse continuity will only really mature as it moves away from the TV shows.
I don't know. Just to play devil's advocate, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to assume that the average reader wants a STAR TREK novel to bear some resemblance to the movies and TV shows. Presumedly, that's why they picked up a STAR TREK novel in the first place, instead of an original sf novel.

I mean, suppose you picked up a Sherlock Holmes novel, expecting to find Holmes and Watson up to their old tricks on Baker Street, only to discover that it was about a pair of detectives named Bartleby and Malone, who were working out of a brothel in Berlin, that Holmes had retired, and that Watson was now working independently as an undercover operative in Argentina, alongside a reformed Sebastian Moran . . . .

Now, you might well find this very exciting and intriguing, or you might also react negatively. "Hey, I wanted to read a Sherlock Holmes story . . . who the heck is this Bartleby character?"

Last edited by Greg Cox; January 15 2013 at 08:46 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote