View Single Post
Old January 14 2013, 07:45 PM   #76
Hyfen_Underskor
Lieutenant

Re: Is Star Trek Interracially revolutionary?

Christopher wrote: View Post

Except that Ilya Kuryakin was a loyal Soviet agent. And if you look at The Six Million Dollar Man in the '70s, there's a lot of stuff about US/Soviet cooperation in space exploration or teaming up against common foes -- if all you knew about history was from that show (at least its pilots and first season), you'd never know there'd been a Cold War.
I understand that. My initial comment was that I don't think a commander with the leading role of a star ship being Russian (whether there is genuine Russian ethnicity or not) was very likely. The problem with these more progressive story lines is that they had to co-exist with the Ivan Drago themes, warring with each other at the same time.

Which, again, is changing the subject. We were talking about characters, not actors.
Okay fine. Like I said, I got a bit side-tracked with the Illya comment.

Why in the hell are you talking about Soviet Russians in the present tense??? This is what completely bewilders me about this conversation. The Soviet Union ceased to exist 21 years ago. Nothing you're taking about is relevant to the present day, so I don't understand why you think that a television series today would have any problem casting a Russian lead. Many members of the target audience for a new Trek or other action-adventure series wouldn't even have been born yet when the USSR dissolved, or would have no personal memory of its existence. So why you think any of this is the least bit relevant to a conversation about casting in a present or future television series confuses the hell out of me.
Did you know that there's still hatred for the Japanese by some Americans who are not old enough to buy cigarettes? Even in this generation of imported anime, Japanese cars, and various Japanese imported electronic gizmos. Why? Because the hatred has been passed down by ancestors from the WWII era. What makes you think the Soviet era would be any different? If some don't know the difference between a Russian and a Ukrainian, what makes you think they're going to make a grand distinction between the Soviet Union, and post Soviet Russia, when sentiments are passed down through generations?

As I said, I'm not even really dogmatic about it, but I don't think even today a new Star Trek, or something similar, would attempt to incorporate a Russian main character into a series as the captain. Level-headed Star Trek fans may very well far outnumber the backward thinking viewer to where it may actually work if attempted....maybe. The script-writers of a new Star Trek series could reason that a 24th century space crew would be so far removed from national rivalry, that it's time to present an ethnic/national Russian as the main character captain. But they probably won't, and probably because it may not go over well with the American public at large.

Yes, obviously,
Then how am I being pessimistic?

but not against Russians, which is the point. You yourself have already admitted in this very post that past issues with Russians were not ethnic but political. And the political issues ceased to exist over two decades ago. So you're contradicting yourself here. It doesn't make sense for you to claim you're talking about racism against Russians when you already acknowledged several paragraphs earlier that you weren't talking about that.
But I don't think I ever suggested racism against Russians. This all started on my comment that I don't think a Russian commander of a Star Fleet (meaning main character of a given new possible TV series) would go over well.
Hyfen_Underskor is offline   Reply With Quote