View Single Post
Old January 14 2013, 05:34 PM   #477
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Aeronef wrote: View Post

Some thoughts:

- The Holm Bilbo cameo was fantastic, but it would have been cooler to hear him talking about/to Frodo yet not see him (Frodo). That way, if one were to watch all six movies in narrative order, Frodo's appearance would be a treat only teased here. (... And would Bilbo really start writing his story on the very day of his departure?)

- The song around Bilbo's fire was wonderful, and too short. Hope it lasts twice as long in the extended cut.

- The orc-chase to Rivendell should have been cut, especially since the wargs as shown would have overtaken them several times over.

- Was definitely fun to see a more cheerful Elrond.

- When Galadriel vanished, did anyone else expect Gandalf to growl, "so that's what that feels like?"

- The rock monsters would have been a wonderfully eerie visual in the distance for the troop to gape at, but building a full-bore action scene around them was hardly necessary. Hey, now that I think of it, there were rock giants in the far background during Crash Bandicoot: Warped...

- That Troll King... ew. First we get the teethed you-know-whats in Kong, now this... oy.

- Overall, the action was indeed a over-the-top at times, but it fit with the tone more often than not, and nothing was a facepalm-worthy as the bronto stampede or Billy Elliot shooting several huge insects off of Brody yet never even grazing him.

- Man, would Kong have been awesome in 3D.

- The dwarf prosthetics were pretty amazing. I used to think a live-action Warcraft movie wouldn't work, as it isn't possible to make humans look so exaggerated and wild. I was wrong.

... And, once again, another eagerly-awaited geek movie utterly flunks the Bechdel Test. Give us some more fine and badass lady elves next time!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote