View Single Post
Old January 14 2013, 04:02 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

Re: First Contact Censorship?

R. Star wrote: View Post
Well what did surprise me is they bleeped out Cocharane's "Sweet Jesus!" when the Enterprise started following the Phoenix.

I mean... come on. Is our society becoming so "politically correct" that we can't even -mention- something mildly religious in public now? Really that's just sad.
Actually you've got it backward. Bleeping out oaths like that and "G*ddamn" is done to protect the sensibilities of Christians who would find them blasphemous. After all, that would be using the Lord's name in vain, which violates the Third Commandment. It's also using the name disrespectfully, as a swear word, which is hardly properly religious.

And it's hardly a new trend. From a 1927 set of movie censorship guidelines:
Resolved, That those things which are included in the following list shall not appear in pictures produced by the members of this Association, irrespective of the mann[er] in which they are treated.

1. Pointed profanity-by either title or lip-this includes the words "God," "Lord," "Jesus," Christ" (unless they be used reverently in connection with proper religious ceremonies), "hell," "damn," "Gawd," and every other profane and vulgar expression however it may be spelled;
Ditto the Motion Picture Production Code of 1930: "The name of Jesus Christ should never be used except in reverence."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote