View Single Post
Old January 14 2013, 03:58 AM   #1612
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

TJ Sinclair wrote: View Post
ronny wrote: View Post
The next one on my list is Flashback. Since this one is a single episode instead of a 2 parter there's going to be a ton of new content and since we've got Sulu it's all going to be about how TOS was the real Star Trek.
Flashback isn't bad, honestly. It was a decent novelization/expansion. As for Equinox, Broken Bow and the others? Nah, as much as I love her writing, it never really works for anything but TOS. The editors kept assigning novelizations to Carey because she could do them quickly.

However, to this day, Final Frontier remains my favorite Trek novel.
Hey, I was surprised, I didn't think Flashback was that bad either. Well, until the tacked on obligatory Kirk worship in the final 3 chapters. I was REALLY expecting a ton of TOS worship and she pretty much avoided that most of the way. None of the characters talk or think they way I expect them to but that's not always a negative in a Voyager novel.

I'll blasting through Broken Bow during the downtimes while watching the Golden Globes.

The book I'm really reading right now is DTI: Watching the Clock. I'm totally enjoying it. I'm about a quarter of the way through. The opening couple of paragraphs cracked me up. I haven't figured out if there's an ongoing plot or if it's a series of events tied to various time travel episodes but it doesn't matter. I'm having a lot of fun reading this.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote