View Single Post
Old January 13 2013, 09:06 AM   #260
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.
Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Not much I can add to Ithekro's comment. I pretty much agree with everything. Its basically the same story updated for 21st century sensibilities. Even though I confess I'm not too fond of the men getting spiffy uniforms while most of the women get stuck with those yellow thong bodysuit things. Ah well, just something we have to tolerate in the name of fan service I suppose.

I love that instead of redesigning everything they've basically updated the ships and uniforms just enough so that they don't look dated and silly by modern standards. I wonder if they're going to redo the old bee people episode?

I confess that since anime switched to cg coloring, I've hated the tendency for shows to have a wierd soft focus, blurry look. Not here. Everything is perfectly clear, and it seems like they've gone out of their way to make it look like old school cel animation.

If it weren't for the whole "Destroying Earth with meteor bombs" thing, I could find the Gamilas quite admirable. Allowing conquered people to become citizens and even officers in the empire seems a lot like the old Roman Empire.

Good to hear the shows doing well. Makes the odds better that we'll get a second series. Hell they're already making references.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote