View Single Post
Old January 13 2013, 08:14 AM   #454
Tiberius
Commodore

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Well, I finally got around to watching the movie in regular 3D.

I quite liked it. There was a much lighter tone than LotR, but then again, the book was a lighter tone as well. I was sad that we didn't see Gandalf provoking an argument among the troll, or that song they had, but it was great to have the dwarves washing-the-dishes song.

I also like the added tuff they put in regarding the necromancer. I haven't read those bits of the LotR appendices, so I don't know how accurate it is to what they;ve got, but it's nice to see that they are bridging the gap.

Some of the bits where they were escaping from the orcs underground (the ladder, sweeping the big pole from side to side, etc) felt like they were just in there to look cool, and it didn't have the same "part of the action" feel that the escape down the stairs in Moria had in FotR.

All in all, a very nice movie. As I said before, I hated the HFR stuff. It made everything look like it was in fast forward due to an optical illusion caused by lack of motion blur. Hopefully by the time the next movie comes out they'll have solved that problem.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote