View Single Post
Old January 13 2013, 05:27 AM   #774
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: NFL 2012 - Drive to Glory

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Oh, Peyton. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
Ah, yes, a man = a team.

The first pick wasn't on him at all, and the fumble was a borderline tuck rule that I thought should have been overturned. The interception in overtime was the second-biggest play in the game, but one bad interception in five quarters does not make him responsible for this loss, at least not solely.

I mean, he had pretty clearly lost some zip on his arm about halfway through the fourth quarter, and why shouldn't he be? That game ran far longer than it should, and he's 36 and playing in thin air.

There were a lot of factors going on, here. The Ravens' offensive line brought forth an incredibly unexpected performance in pass protection -- they played their minds out, well above any level they've shown this season. Flacco's lone sack was almost entirely on him. Also, Denver's secondary, Champ Bailey in particular, completely shit the bed. They haven't looked that terrible all season. And there was that little last-minute fourth quarter touchdown that may have featured the worst safety play I've ever seen in my life.

Honestly, the most egregious decision of the game was to kneel with 30 seconds and two timeouts left. I don't understand that at all, and even though John Fox trends towards being a conservative coach, that was bizarre even for him. With how gassed the Ravens' defense was (they had lost a few steps as early as the end of the third quarter) and having those timeouts in the bank, it should have been easy for Denver to at least get into range for a Prater bomb.