Thread: Titan Novels
View Single Post
Old January 13 2013, 03:03 AM   #8
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Titan Novels

Christopher wrote: View Post
So would I, but we have to be consistent with what's shown onscreen whether we like it or not. And it's a cinch that if we had gone that route, some readers would complain about the inconsistency and demand an explanation.
Indeed. Like I said, I understand the reasons behind the way Titan handles the diversity aspect. In light of everything we've seen in Trek since the 80s, I even agree with them. I just wish it wasn't necessary.

Besides, I felt it was worth pointing out that inclusion is something you have to work at, that it's easy for even well-intentioned people to fall back into the habit of sticking with "their own kind" if they aren't careful. I tend to like the approach of stories like "The Drumhead" or much of DS9 which remind us that the Federation's utopia is not an easy thing to achieve or maintain, that it takes hard work and self-discipline to live up to such lofty ideals and it isn't always easy to avoid backsliding.
Again, agreed.

I guess it's a matter of taste. Some readers are more interested in exotic aliens than others, and they're the ones that TTN is geared toward. I think Marco envisioned it as the most science-fictional of the book series, the one that would be most focused on exploring new and exotic concepts.
That's why I get into it, for the most part. And I hope the series never loses that. So far, even in the Titan books like Seize the Fire that have been part of crossover events, that sense of exploration has remained.

I'm hoping there's a sense of that in the newer Voyager novels, too, but I haven't read any since Spirit Walk turned me off of the series entirely. Even though the "second relaunch" has a different, I've been afraid to go back and try again.