Thread: Titan Novels
View Single Post
Old January 13 2013, 02:14 AM   #6
TJ Sinclair
Captain

Re: Titan Novels

^Yup, Orion's Hounds is overall my favorite Titan novel, although I've still got a couple to read (Over a Torrent Sea, Synthesis and Fallen Gods).

The series is, for me, one of the best things about the modern era of Trek lit. The focus on exploration, discovery and first contact harkens back to the core of Star Trek in ways that no other contemporary novels really do.

As a long-time fan of Diane Duane's depictions of TOS-era multiracial crews, the uber-diversity of Titan is a non-issue to me. I just wish it was a non-issue to the characters, but I understand why it sometimes is, because as much as it's the way Starfleet should have been portrayed all these years, it definitely hasn't been. I'd just rather go with Duane's route of "showing us an integrated crew as if it's perfectly normal" instead of shouting "Hey, look, it's an experiment in interspecies diversity!"

Still, it doesn't detract from my enjoyment of Titan at all. I find the alienness of it all to be one of the most engaging parts of the series, and can't help but feel that the OP and first responder are kind of missing the boat...