View Single Post
Old January 13 2013, 01:44 AM   #43
ladyheather69
Captain

Re: Things old ladies do...

My daughter, 19, can knit, but hasn't for a couple years. She was taught in middle school by one of her teachers who thought it would be nice to teach anyone who wanted to know. SEveral of her friends also learned. She is too busy to keep at it now, being in college, but she was getting good at making scarves
Both my grandmothers made afghans as well, and I still use them to this day. I wish I had learned how to do that and maybe I will in the future.
My mother-in-law can crochet/knit really, blankets and has done so for her grandchildren and other babies in the family .
She makes a great spaghetti and meatball dinner,but I can't get the sauce the same as hers....I do ok, but not quite the same
My grandmother used to make homemade fruit pies from scratch-ah so flaky and delish!!! She also used to make chicken and noodles, not soup, just chicken and noodles, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get the noodles right.
Love my mom, but she really never did the sewing, knitting, baking thing, so unfortunately I don't bake cookies from scratch. I can, but they are just ok...I do make fudge during the holidays, chocolate, peppermint, white, but that's about it(I ususally just buy the cookie dough already make and plop them on the cookie sheet and voila! done )
I don't think these 'arts' are dying off yet, but with technology and the need for instant gratification, younger people don't seem to want to spend time learning anything that takes time away from their phones, tablets, tvs, etc.