View Single Post
Old January 12 2013, 05:49 PM   #165
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

Re: Confessions: You do it and you know it is bad

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Tora Ziyal wrote: View Post

Amen! One piece of trivia that infuriated me when I read the bio of Steve Jobs was that he regularly parked in handicapped spots (long before he got sick). Grrr.
I never realized how often it happened until my mother got her disabled tag about 3 years ago. She has paralysis in one leg and for a while required a walker (though now she usually gets by with just her leg brace and sometimes a cane if she's tired). Every single time we go somewhere it seems there is someone without a tag in the disabled spot.
I normally look and see if the cars parked in disabled spots here have tags/plates. I'm not disabled or anything, I just check out of curiosity. I almost never see someone illegally parked in a disabled spot here. Then again, you get fined $250 for the first offense here, and at least $250 for subsequent offenses, plus community service. New Jersey don't fuck around.

I'm fine with the harsh penalties. There's no reason to park in one of those spots without a tag unless you're just an inconsiderate, lazy ass.
I don't see it as often as I used to, but still too often.

One day I had just pulled into a handicapped parking spot at a mall, and a county cop came over and asked to see my license and the certification card that goes with my hangtag. I was delighted he asked! Really shocked him. Apparently everyone else he'd checked that morning had NOT been disabled and had been indignant that they'd been caught.

In Maryland, the fines vary by jurisdiction. I've seen as low as $85 and high as $300.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote