View Single Post
Old January 12 2013, 05:18 PM   #685
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Do you think Star Trek needed a reboot?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
No character is off-limits to reinterpretation over time.
True, but it is perfectly reasonable to have a preference of one performer over another. It's even perfectly reasonable to dismiss a performance entirely as you yourself just have with Blade: Trinity.
Oh, absolutely. I was just objecting to the idea, which one bumps into occasionally, that only Shatner can play Kirk or that certain performances are untouchable or irreplaceable. It's the difference between insisting that Shatner is the best Kirk or insisting that he's the only "real" Kirk (whatever that means).

I still remember being shocked to discover, many decades ago, that my youngest brother considered Roger Moore the "real" James Bond, but given that he was seventeen years younger than me, it made sense. Moore was the Bond he had grown up with.

Just wait. Fifteen years from now, fans of a certain age will be insisting that nobody will ever be able to replace Pine as the definitive James T. Kirk!

P.S. To be fair, I'm as guilty of this as anyone else. As a kid, I considered Julie Newmar the one, true Catwoman--and was bitterly disappointed when Lee Meriwether replaced her in the movie!

(I like to think I'm more open-minded now.)