Thread: arrrgh!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old January 12 2013, 01:00 AM   #43
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: arrrgh!!!!!!!!

propita wrote: View Post
propita wrote: View Post
Hubby got diagnosed diabetic recently. When he lost 10 pounds, his stupid number went up by 10! Yeah, he can improve his diet and exercise. And me with all my health issues, my number stays under 90. Genetics plays a big part--diabetes runs in his family, not mine, yet his family lives to their 80s and even 90s.
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^Type 2, I'm guessing? I wish people would specify.

A 10 point raise in blood sugar level as measured in mg/dl the (US), and not mmol/L (A1C and the rest of the world), is just as likely to be variance in the meter as it is in the actual blood sugar level. A 10 point raise in mmol/L would be very unlikely and mean certain hospitalization or death. 10 points variance in mg/dl is normal in healthy people, I wouldn't think much of it.

I'm assuming Type 2, since it's recent though he has been tending that way for 10 years or so. Then his number went over the limit. I think he's about 140.

He's trying. Shoot, he's a pharmacist, he knows what's what.

If there is trending involved it is definitely type 2. There's no trending in type 1 (except with the extremely rare exception of LADA type 1). I hope I didn't come off as rude, it's just that this is what I'm talking about -- tons of people with type 2 don't even know the difference themselves. If he had type 1, you would know. His blood glucose at diagnosis would probably have been between 600-800, not 140. 140 is gold for a type 1. He would likely have been near comatose, and definitely would have been hospitalized for several days upon diagnosis. He would be taking multiple shots of insulin a day or be on an insulin pump, and checking his sugars 4-12 times daily. He would not be able to survive without insulin. You would have been taught the warning signs of hypos, and how to use a glucagon kit in case he had a seizure or blacked out. He would carry some form of glucose with him at all times to counter hypos, and would likely wake up in the middle of the night at least once a week to do night time glucose monitoring.

See, it's a completely different disease, and people don't get that. That's what's hard when you're type 1.

As for the 10 point variance: glucometers are accurate within a range. He could test his sugar once, and then immediately afterwards and it could vary by as much as 20-25 points on the same meter. 10 points doesn't really tell you anything, type 1 or 2, because it could be the meter variance or the test strip variance. Of course, this goes for meter testing. A lab test, which is on blood syrum rather than whole blood, is more accurate, and in that case a 10 point variance might mean something.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote