View Single Post
Old January 11 2013, 05:05 PM   #14
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Nvidia moves into the handheld market.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
I actually have a bunch of controller appropriate games on my Steam account that I could see working with this. Deus Ex, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, just about all the GTA games, Beyond Good and Evil, The Walking Dead, Fable, Skyrim, Bastion, Space Marine, Super Meat Boy, Assassin's Creed II, Psychonaughts, Saints Row 2, Ghostbusters TVG, Dreamfall and the three Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games.
But if you're home anyway why would you choose to play those games on your tiny Project Shield rather than your desktop or HDTV? There's just so many better options.

1.) Play those games on a PS3, 360, or Wii U connected to your HDTV.
2.) Play those games on your desktop.
3.) Use an HDMI cable to connect your PC to your TV and play with a wireless mouse & keyboard on the couch.
4.) Buy a laptop instead of a Project Shield and play those games on your couch.
5.) Buy a Vita/3DS and get access to exclusive portable games that you don't own rather than making games that you can already play portable.

If this thing was $99 I could see maybe buying it (mostly for the inevitable console emulation), but there's no way that Project Shield is going to be cheap. The tech is too advanced and Nvidia can't sell the system for a loss like Nintendo has always done.
Maybe I don't want to sit at the computer, or have a notebook in my lap. Maybe I just want a handheld console, but I want to play something that's normally only on my PC.

I see this as being similar to the Wii U tablet, on which you can play Wii U games without using your TV. A lot of games support controllers nowadays, and so do plenty of Steam games.

The price is going to be the real sticking point, since it sounds like it will be both a portable gaming device and a Wii U-like controller with built-in display. If it was only the latter, I suspect they could do it relatively cheaply.