View Single Post
Old January 11 2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer

Re: can the star trek animated series be reanimated?

I don't want TAS to be "reanimated." That's disrespectful to the original creation. Its animation wasn't actually bad, just limited. It was done in a style that was characteristic of the era in which it was made, and it was actually a better example of that style than a lot of its contemporary cartoons. Filmation's artwork may not have moved much, but it was generally more cleanly drawn and less error-filled than the work the other major US limited-animation studio, Hanna-Barbera, was doing at the time. And its background painting were beautiful, the best in the industry. I'd hate to see that artwork replaced by some generic 3D computer animation.

The only reason the FX shots were redone in TOS Remastered was because the optical techniques used at the time reduced the resolution of the film and made it unfeasible to bring those shots up to HD resolution. But since pretty much all of TAS is cel animation, the resolution and image quality should be pretty consistent throughout, so it would be an all-or-nothing kind of deal.

The only way I'd tolerate a reanimation would be if it kept the original look and feel of TAS -- the same background paintings, the same character designs and 2D art style, even the same shot composition and storyboarding to a large extent, just with more varied and fluid motion added and with errors corrected. (I think "The Time Trap," especially its first act, is fraught with animation errors and images that don't fit the dialogue. It could use some cleanup.) This might be doable. In the current Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles CG-animated series, there's a running gag of Leonardo being a fan of an old cartoon called Space Heroes, whose art style is an astonishingly accurate TAS/Filmation pastiche.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote