View Single Post
Old January 11 2013, 03:44 PM   #264
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Well...I did post the article regarding the plummeting ratings this season (the winter hiatus episode being the lowest rated episode ever) . I haven't checked the ratings for Monday's episode yet. I have a suspicion that "Castle" could end either this season, or perhaps be granted one last season next year. So far though I've not really had a problem with this season. Monday's episode was clearly a filler episode. I'm still convinced that the second half of the season will refocus on the JB murder case, we will be revisiting the Senator as well, and possibly be introduced to Rick's dad finally.
My gut tells me that declining ratings this season is due to Castle and Beckett finally getting together. Since the show began, we have been teased with those two characters getting closer. There were a lot of fans invested in "Caskett" and I wouldn't be surprised if they got their payoff in the final episode of last season.

All that would await those fans this season is watching what kind of obstacles the writers would put in the way of the happy couple. Those invested in the relationship may not have stayed to see that.

So while the show may not have creatively collapsed because the leads got together (ala Moonlighting), the relationship's fans may have decided to leave before it happened.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended. - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote