View Single Post
Old January 11 2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Robert D. Robot
Fleet Captain

Re: Painters: Need help impressing a girl.

Starkers wrote: View Post
.....Instead why not take her to inspiring places, visit galleries together, check out great architecture or visit the countryside, anywhere there are stunning views. If she has been a painter for many years she likely either has the stuff she needs, or knows where to get it (and likely knows what kind of art supplies she needs. Does she paint on canvas or board, does she paint using oil or acrylics, or is she more into chalks/pastels.)....
Starkers' suggestion is excellent, I feel, Kommnader! It would be very enjoyable and inspiring for both of you.

I am an artist, and I hate it when people ask (or expect!) me to create art for them on the spot. Also, not every artist is interested/comfortable in being asked to teach another to paint, so I would dismiss that idea (as you have already said that you have done). And most artists have very specific tastes in choosing paints. It is not as simple as picking out just 'a red', 'a blue', etc., or buying a paint set. Color mixing to create the colors one wishes to put on a canvas involves an artist's experience and particular tastes in choosing paints as they develop as a painter.

I'd say have a nice hike or a stroll through a museum together. That sounds like an excellent idea to me. During those strolls discussions about her art and interests could be the best inspiration for her to get back to creating again....
Robert D. Robot is offline   Reply With Quote