View Single Post
Old January 11 2013, 04:57 AM   #32
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

Re: Things old ladies do...

Grey wrote: View Post
Spot's Meow wrote: View Post
Many clothes are cheap enough that it's just easier to buy a new whatever instead of mending your old one, and I can't even imagine having the time to sew whole new items.
Actually, that's part of my issue! I have yet to sit down and crochet a whole afghan mostly because it just isn't that cost effective. You really need to buy all the yarn up front (to be sure the dye lots are the same and the color will be consistent throughout) and it's just...cheaper to buy a blanket or a sweater than to make one a lot of the time.

I really love cooking and baking but its discouraging to see how frozen, pre-packaged, or processed foods and ingredients are often cheaper than buying the fresh ingredients to make a dish from scratch. It used to be that making things yourself, whether food, clothes, or otherwise was economical. Now it's something I have to set aside because I can't afford the supplies a lot of the time!
I completely agree, it's really unfortunate that it costs me so much more to crochet a blanket than to just buy one. But, I really enjoy working with my hands, and I find the rhythmic motions of the crochet stitches calming and therapeutic. It took me a while to get the hang of it (I actually gave up for five or so years because I thought I just wasn't very good at it), but now the movements come naturally and without conscious thought, and there's something pleasant about that. Maybe sewing would provide the same feeling, but it feels like it would somehow involve more thought processes or careful attention.
T.S. Eliot
Spot's Meow is online now   Reply With Quote