View Single Post
Old January 10 2013, 10:35 PM   #25
Jarvisimo
Commander

Re: David Mack teases The Fall: A Ceremony of Loses

And Garak written by MacCormack is always good. His scene with Rugal in The Never-Ending Sacrifice is one of my favourites in Treklit: with Garak slipping between different facets of personality - charmingly pleasant, analytic, damning, generous, ironic - to interrogate the man sitting in front of him.* Also exciting about this book will be to see how she treats the TNG crew: in Brinkmanship it was unconventional and excellent for this.

*also i love the nod to the German embassy of the early twentieth century, and how she has Garak refer to it:

“When I took up residence here, I took the trouble to investigate the history of the place. It turned out to have once been the embassy of a military dictatorship whose name is synonymous with cruelty, aggression, and sheer brutality of the most unspeakable kind. Someone at the Federation Diplomatic Corps went out of their way to calculate that insult so finely. I was quite flattered; I’m sure not everyone earns such particular attention. Besides, it’s a remarkable building and a magnificent city.”