View Single Post
Old January 10 2013, 07:34 PM   #37
Christopher
Writer

Re: Is Star Trek Interracially revolutionary?

^I never said I was comfortable with how things are. I explicitly and repeatedly acknowledged that there are still problems to overcome, so you have no business accusing me of complacency. Optimism is not complacency. It's not the blind assumption that things are fine. It's the recognition that we have the power to make things better if we work at it hard enough and long enough. But in order to make that effort, you have to believe that it's possible to succeed, that the goal is attainable. Optimism is an incentive to fight harder for improvement. Pessimism is an excuse to give up trying.

Indeed, this is exactly why Star Trek was so important, so progressive in its portrayal of equality. It didn't give us a dystopian future, show us how bad things could get, and leave it at that. It showed us a vision of a world where we'd solved our problems, let us see what such a world could look like, and helped us to believe it was attainable. It gave us a goal to strive toward, not just a warning of what we should avoid. And that's something very valuable, something that's far too often lacking in science fiction. Positive reinforcement is a better motivator than negative.