View Single Post
Old January 10 2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Timo
Admiral

Re: TOS Enterprise - function of warp nacelles' caps?

Good question. Most of that looks unfamiliar. Is the BoP sketch in front of Nimoy based on the Empire Strikes Back shuttle? Are those Starfleet ground cars on the sketch atop that one?

My whole issue with retroactive continuity, mostly, is the lack of devoted research and effort to be accurate.
I can respect that - but it should be noted that TOS itself never bothered with devoted research or an effort to be accurate when managing its continuity.

Deciding that such lack of attention is okay within TOS but not within, say, the body of televised Trek smacks of a double standard. I mean, excluding non-TOS Trek from consideration is fine and well, as is drawing the limit elsewhere (accepting all onscreen stuff but not the animated bits, accepting official novels but not comics, etc), but using lack of attention as the argument is not something I could bring myself to agree with.

Deciding that the domes are ramscoops and saying so in a TNG episode is not all that different from retconning Spock's human ancestor back to life between "Corbomite Maneuver" and "Journey to Babel"...

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote