View Single Post
Old January 10 2013, 09:56 AM   #32
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: Big Finish Multi-Doctor 50th Anny Announcement

^I just read all of those news items over at GallifreyBase, and while I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the great news all at once, I'm also very excited!

ToddCam wrote: View Post
Oy, this overwhelming disdain for recasting dead actors... I really wish people would just let it go. For the 60th anniversary, we may not have Tom Baker anymore, and who knows who else will be gone, especially companion-wise (William Russell is quite the older fellow). Don't get me wrong, as I am in no way trying to limit the life of any of these fine actors, but I think limiting our ability to have earlier Doctor stories based on the lifespans of the actors who played them is kind of shooting yourself in the foot. Why can't it just be done respectfully? When Carole Ann Ford, William Russell, Maureen O'Brien, Peter Purves, Jean Marsh, and Anneke Wills are gone, is the First Doctor closed off forever? Are people really that offended by Richard Hurndall? I almost understand the view for TV, for surely the audio medium should give you a little leeway...

As this is a Star Trek board, I am reminded of DeForest Kelley and James Doohan. I know it's not a direct analogy given the nature of the Doctor (though not the Companions), but should we not be able to have Bones and Scotty stories because those great men have passed on?
I'm not saying I'm against it in this format, but I am saying I don't think it'll happen for the reasons I stated.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote